Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Remember Whensday – Hobart in 2008

For Remember Whensday, I’d like to share with you my wonderful weekend trip to Hobart, Tasmania last year, plus photos of a rather unusual flower.

We went to the Salamanca Market in Hobart, which is famous for local Tasmanian food, arts and crafts. My husband and I had a lovely time shopping, browsing and eating (the Bratwurst sausage roll was yummy… yes, German sausage downunder!). There was music playing and everyone just seemed so happy.

I took this photo the next day – this is Salamanca Place, where the market was held. It’s a lovely area to go to for coffee, food or just people watching. In the photo, the mighty Mount Wellington stands tall at 1270 metres (around 4,000 feet). It was a short 20 minutes drive to get up to the top. It was very cold but the view was magnificent.

Hobart, Tasmania © Evelyn Howard, 2009

While exploring the town, I spotted these unusual looking but very pretty flowers. I think they look a bit like cabbages, but I have no idea what they were called. I would appreciate your comment if you do.

White flower © Evelyn Howard, 2009

Hobart, Tasmania © Evelyn Howard, 2009

The weekend was short, but we had a great time. After that, we have been back to Hobart again twice. And each time I was there, I visited the market.

Thanks for reading. Please visit Remember Whensday for more stories and photos.

12 comments:

Urban Green said...

@Evelyn: I have no idea what plant this is but it's gorgeous. Absolutely stupefying! I'll check back to see if something else knows about it and posts some info here.
Considering a connoisseur like you, didn't you pick some on way back?

Karen said...

Those flowers look like ornamental cabbages to me. They are a type of cabbage cultivated for their beauty instead of their taste.

Evelyn Howard said...

@UG: LOL, would have if I wasn't afraid about getting arrested!

@Karen... Thanks, ornamental cabbages sounds good. I'd love some in my garden if I see any for sale.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Your photos are lovely..and that flower is awesome- especially the border..it really winds around! I can see the day was beautiful too..what a nice trip. This was a nice share and thanks for your consideration in dropping by to visit-

Pyatshaw said...

These "flowers" are indeed ornamental cabbages and much used in urban displays in UK. They come in a variety of colours and look good during the winter.

Gaelyn said...

Yep, I'd agree about ornamental cabbage. Would prefer to eat some of the german food. Those mountains make a gorgeous backdrop.

Julie said...

These are really stunning ornamental cabbages!!! I love the white color! The only ones I've ever seen are green and purple!!! Looks ike such a gorgeous place! Beautiful weather there too, while you were there!

Evelyn Howard said...

Thanks everyone.
@ Pyatshaw: aah, only during winter. That explains why I didn't see them during the other visits.

Tootsie said...

could those be ornamental Kale or Cabbage? they are really pretty aren't they?

Arasu said...

The flower bed looks like a winding path. I like the composition with a large building having a different architecture in the background.

yoon see said...

Wow! Pretty ..petty!
I am in awe with these gorgeous blooms that looks like cabbages!

dong dong23 said...

true religion shorts
true religion jeans
asics running shoes
coach factory outlet
instyler curling iron
beats headphones
jordan 4
longchamp outlet
coach factory outlet
nike air jordan
louis vuitton handbags
ralph lauren sale
kobe bryant shoes
air max 90
toms
cheap oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin outlet
ray ban sunglasses
kate spade outlet
rolex submariner
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
north face outlet
nike uk
rolex watches outlet
burberry outlet online
ralph lauren outlet
louis vuitton outlet
kobe shoes 11
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet
coach canada
coach outlet
ralph lauren polo
burberry outlet
lebron james shoes 13
coach outlet
coach outlet store online
kate spade handbags
20167.21wengdongdong

Related Posts with Thumbnails