Friday, August 21, 2009

Strong coastal winds tested my patience

My patience was tested this morning when the howling wind nearly uprooted most of my new plants. There were no major disasters as all the remaining pots that I have are rather steady, short and stout, since the last skinny pot was blown over and broke last week.

In view of the weather (now and forecast for the coming days), I have moved the smaller and lighter pots to a  more protected area. I decided that I will stay indoors and rescue the plants later.

Ignorance is bliss, so they say. I am a novice gardener, and I was full of hope and enthusiasm when I imagined a balcony full of lovely and lush succulent plants. Now I realise that gardening on a balcony on the coast is going to be a real challenge. This wind is going to be continuous, and there is no barrier in its way.

As the wind continues to howl outside, I am on the computer  looking for a solution. I have not yet decided on my next move, but here is an interesting (probably obvious) fact:

Plants that are adapted to windy conditions usually have small, narrow leaves as well, such as needle-leaved conifers and ornamental grasses…
Source: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/wind-resistant-plants-for-your-windy-garden.htm

I found these 2 articles relating to gardening in windy conditions rather interesting:
Wind Resistant Plants For Your Windy Garden
Coastal Gardening – Wind

If you have ideas about balcony gardening of succulent on the coast, in constant windy conditions, I’d love to hear from you.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails