Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mu Dan (Peony) in Beijing

Peony © Evelyn Howard 2011

I was walking around when I saw a couple of photographers with impressive looking equipment taking pictures of these flowers. A group of locals were quite excited… I went to see what it was all about.

Mu Dan © Evelyn Howard 2011

One of the photographers explained that these are Mu Dan, which only flower briefly…. When I was there, most of the flowers were starting to wilt. I had to photograph selectively. The blooms were huge and they smelt lovely.

Mu Dan © Evelyn Howard 2011

I remembered that my Mom asked me to look out for Mu Dan. I only had my point & shoot with me, but I took many photos for her.

Peony © Evelyn Howard 2011

These lovely blooms appear frequently in Chinese art, and the locals love them. One particular breed is highly valued as a medicinal herb.

Hope you enjoyed these gorgeous blooms.

8 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Sensational colors as well as the ones of the "Wall" below...fabulous!

origa-me said...

mind blowing

Katie said...

These are simply beautiful flowers. You took some great shots even with a point and shoot!

Candice Suter.....Sweetstuff said...

Wonderful shots, they are quite beautiful! I bet your pictures are just as good as theirs!

Julie said...

These are so perfect they don't even look real!!! The darker ones. I'm so happy you found them in bloom to experience them!!! :)

Melanie J Watts said...

I love peonies. Those flowers are especially striking. I have a similar one but it is still not big enough yet to bloom.

yoon see said...

The close ups here are so beautiful beyond description.
Such precious adventure to pop into your blog!

Deepa Gopal said...

I personally am very fond of peony flowers...have seen 'em in the Net...love those Chinese peony paintings:)
These are very pretty:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails