Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 37 of gardening

The forecast for today is cloudy, shower and windy – not ideal for gardening. With a slightly sore foot resulting from tennis pennant last night (I played 3 matches – a single and 2 doubles. Not a bad evening considering I lost 1 but won 2), I think I’m going to take it easy today. Except for a yoga, I’m going to stay indoors, re-pot some indoor plants and read (and blog).

Here’s a photo of my balcony garden taken this morning. It has been a busy (and FUN!) month and a bit, since I started gardening. Beside succulent plants, I’ve also included some Australian native plants, which like succulents are drought tolerant and require well-drained soil. These ones that I have planted also love being by the coast, which is perfect for my balcony. I love our timber deck (a DIY project) which adds warmth, and makes the space more inviting.

Balcony garden © Evelyn Howard, 2009

I think the space is an improvement from before; here’s a photo which was in one of my early post…

Balcony garden © Evelyn Howard, 2009

Now I even have a little herb corner in the garden, with oregano, thyme, Vietnamese mint, coriander, basil and chilli. My little herb corner has only 2 pots at the moment, but I’m really pleased – I’m looking forward to cooking with herbs from the garden :).

I have used self-watering pots to plant the herbs. I’ve never used these pots before; I hope they will keep the plants well and hydrated, especially when I am away from home.

Herbs © Evelyn Howard, 2009

2 comments:

Urban Green said...

Self watering pots - how does that work?
I travel a lot on work and find it difficult to manage my plants. This looks like a great idea.

You got a pretty neat garden and I love the deck. My garden is a mess-up compared to yours.
*Urban Green hides under the table*

Unknown said...

@UG:

self-watering pots have 2 layers - a water reservoir is at the bottom... water is sucked up to the soil, so the pot is kept moist.

Unfortunately it's not for all types of plants, as the soil might be too wet... and based on what I've read, the pot should be left to dry out sometimes... (here's a discussion: http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message.aspx?b=72&m=3413&ps=20&dm=1&pd=3) I am just testing it out, and learning as I go along...

Thanks - hopefully I can still keep it tidy when I have more plants :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails